Tuesday 19th May, 2020
As you know myself and the SLT been deliberating over the mountains of guidance, from the Government, Local Authority and the unions that has dripped its way to us over the last 7 days. Much of which is still being negotiated over.
I have always been clear that we must always do what is right for our community- your children, the staff and yourselves. For me and the Governing Body of the School, this means a slow and cautious return ensuring that everyone’s health and safety has been considered.
In my last letter I explained that we were looking at the possible options around Pre-School, Reception, Year 1 and Year 6. After much discussion and assessing possible ways on which we could do this, the safest way to increase the number of children attending Cliftonville Primary and Pre School is by starting with Year 6 children.
Therefore, we will start the integration of Year 6 first back to school during Term 6. This will begin on Tuesday 9th June. This model will potentially allow the possibility of a further phased return of more age groups at a later date which will be reviewed regularly according to Government recommendations and our continued capacity to keep all children safe and well.
The measures which will be in place are;
I understand that this arrangement way forward maybe disappointing to some in the Pre School, Reception and Y1 however I believe that it is the only way to support more of our children, whilst minimising all the risks as much as possible and keeping your child safe.
You will also appreciate that we will be continuing to provide home learning for all children not in school which requires staff to plan and prepare and so this arrangement is for Monday - Thursday. The Friday will be closed to all except KeyWorker/Vulnerable children in order to allow planning time and a deep clean.
As you are obviously aware the development of this plan, to enable the school premises and classrooms to be ready in time, has been dictated by the Government release of guidance and in being so close to published term dates has meant any earlier preparations have not been possible. Therefore;
Monday 8th June - school will only open for KeyWorker/Vulnerable children only. This time will be used for planning, getting the classrooms and premises ready (including signage and one-way systems).
Tuesday 9th June - Thursday 11th June- School will be open for Y6 children (those who have signed up and confirmed) and KWV children (previously signed up)
Friday 12th - school will only open for KeyWorker/Vulnerable children.
Week beginning 15th- All bubbles in Monday- Thursday. Friday - KeyWorker/Vulnerable children only.
Week beginning 22nd- All bubbles in Monday- Thursday Friday - KeyWorker/Vulnerable children only
We will review at the end of the second week (Friday 19th) and if safe and the right thing to do we MAY look to integrate another year group in from 29th June.
In order to assist with the final stages of planning for this new phase of bubbles, I ask that if you are a parent of a Year 6 child, that you complete the Google form below by Friday 22nd May at 5pm. The survey simply asks you to let us know whether you will send your child into school from the 9th June. If you do, we will expect to see them on Tuesday 9th June.
All year 6 who will attend will be getting further information about the detailed organisation, expectations and experiences that they will expect from Tuesday 9th June. Please can I reiterate that it will be a new kind of normal and will not be like their previous schooling experience.
I would also like to reiterate that the decision over your child returning at any time is 100% your choice and we will fully support your decision.
Your commitment to our community has been outstanding during this unprecedented time and whilst you may be anxious about this next phase, we will continue to always put the children’s, staff and wider communities interests at the heart of all decision making and therefore review and evaluate as necessary. I understand opinion will be mixed and I am not expecting everyone to agree with our decisions, but please understand, we have made them for the safety and wellbeing of all concerned.
In the meantime, stay safe and keep well.